A refreshing and healthy low sodium salad. I love this dressing very much and I’ve prepared this many times (usually without passion fruit because I don’t have these always on hand) and I got a lot of good comments. Sometimes I top this with salted caramelized chopped walnuts.
I hope this Bahamian recipe will inspire you to prepare a tropical salad soon as this is wonderful way to enjoy summer dishes reducing calories but not taste; a real explosion of flavors!
Tropical Chicken Salad
- 1 cup meat, grilled/BBQ, deboned, skinless and cut into bite sizes
- 1 pinch allspice
- 2 cups white cabbage or lettuce, sliced
- 1 mango, peeled and dices
- 1 cup diced tomatoes,
- 1/2 passion fruit, inner content of the fruit (if you don’t have this, don’t worry)
- 1 lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or to teaspoons fresh chopped thyme (variation fresh cilantro leaves)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rum, optional
- 4 tablespoon oil (I used olive oil)
- Dried chili flakes, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Toss chicken meat with allspice.
- On a serving dish layer cabbage, tomatoes, mango and top with chicken.
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the dressing, season or adjust to you taste.
Pour dressing over salad and serve.