Azorean Fish Roll
Elvira is an Azorean wonderful blogger. As I saw this stunning recipe I knew that this would I was looking for and I saved this in my “to try” recipes. Only a few days later I tried her recipe called “Torta de peixe à Marília” (http://elvirabistrot.blogspot.ch/2011/09/torta-de-peixe-marilia.html?spref=pi) and I adapted her recipe. I don’t know if I understood well all the ingredients and description of the procedure, but I will report what I did and the result was fabulous!
This preparation presents very well, can be eaten warm or cold; up to you!
For this recipe you should use white flesh boiled fish as suggested in her original Azorean recipe, but you can also use other kind of fish even with smoked trout!
I increased the quantity of flour as I supposed she used 3 heaped tablespoon flour. I used 4.
Azorean Fish Roll
- 200 g cooked white flesh fish (or 200 g smoked trout)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 200 ml milk
- 3 tablespoons tomatoes paste
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 heaped tablespoons flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- Chili flakes to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup homemade marinara or tomatoes sauce ( I can imagine that herbed cream cheese would be delicious as well)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Line a baking tray with parchment foil, grease and dust the foil with flour.
- Prepare/cook the fish and let cool down, dice it into small pieces.
- In a skillet heat oil and fry onion and garlic until onion begins to brown. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add to the bowl parsley, milk, tomatoes paste and egg yolks. Stir to combine.
- Fold flour, baking powder and chili flakes to taste. Adjust to taste with salt and pepper.
- Beat egg whites to stiff picks and fold egg whites under the batter.
- Spread the batter over the prepared foil and bake for 15 minutes at 200°C/400°F.
- Remove from the oven and turn the sponge out onto another piece of greaseproof paper / parchment foil.
- Spread the tomatoes sauce. Roll the sponge using the foil.
- Serve hot of wrap in foil to cool down.