No egg, no alcohol for this foamy drink! An impressive and fancy preparation.
I made my chocolate syrup at home and I suggest to adapt it to you taste.
Feel free to try some variations: adding cinnamon, making a chocolate mocha syrup or what you fantasy suggests to you.
PNew York Egg Cream from Scratch
Chocolate syrup (or 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup)
- 10 g dark chocolate
- 10 ml water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- a few drops vanilla extract, optional
- 2 ice cubes
- ½ cup whole milk, ice cold
- About 2 cups bottled plain seltzer water
- In a small microwave save bowl place the ingredients for the syrup.
- Heat for about 10 minutes, stir. Repeat several times until chocolate and sugar are dissolved.
- Add ice cubes and stir well until ice is melted and syrup is completely cold.
- Divide the syrup into two tall drinking glasses.
- Fill each glass with about 1/4 cup milk, stir with a long handled metal spoon to combine.
- Pour seltzer slowly into the milk chocolate mix. A creamy foam should rise and your drink is ready.
Note: For a whiter foam change the sequence: milk, seltzer, chocolate syrup and stir gently!