Meat Cigars with Cinnamon
They look as spring rolls, but the content is really different as it is inspired on Maroccan recipes.
Most of these cigars are usually prepared with double amount of phyllo, if you prefer more of it, please feel free to make longer rectangles and to wrap the meat with it.
We opted for the less dough and less fat recipe.
Perfect as appetizer or even as full delicious meal combined with some salad!
Meat Cigars with Cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 450 g ground beef or lamb or mix of both
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander ground
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander green, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 phyllo sheets or 12 sheets spring rolls sheets
- Oil for brushing or spraying
Sauce (optional or to your choice):
- Pomegranate molasses
Other suggestion: Greek yogurt, Yogurt sauce, chili sauce, spring rolls sauce…
Salad (optional or to taste):
- 1 cup apple, peeled diced
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Pomegranate sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste (in this recipe salt is not really necessary!J)
Other suggestion: green salad or a salsa recipe you love
- Place the raisins in a cup with lukewarm water to soak.
- In a big skillet heat the oil and fry the onion, with walnuts stirring constantly until onion are translucent and walnuts lightly toasted.
- Add garlic stir and remove from heat.
- After 5 minutes add eggs, meat, cinnamon, spices, herbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut each phyllo sheets into 4 rectangles or use the spring rolls sheets.
- Divide the meat into 16 equal portions.
- Prepare the sheet rectangle on the working place and brush it with olive oil. Place the filling on the border of rectangle in an oblong shape leaving about 2 free. Fold the lateral borders over it and finish to roll starting from the side closest to the meat to make a nice cigar. You can also roll it as for spring rolls. Brush with olive oil again
- Fry in the skillet for a few minutes on all sides and then finish to bake in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes at 160°C. You can also bake them in the oven starting with the temperature of 200°C first 5 minutes and then reducing to 160°C for other 20 minutes until golden crispy.
Serve with your favorite sauce and serve with some greens or salad.
Ww- 23 smart points per each of 4 serving (3 meat cigars per serving, salad and sauce not included)