As I asked my husband to mention me one of his favorite recipes I prepared at home, he said „orange chicken“.
Well, I don’t know how many times I prepared some recipes with chicken and orange, so he really could not tell me which one.
After searching in my recipes and photos, I came across this recipe I prepared 5 years ago and it was really phenomenal. I found it in another site, I prepared this, photographed it, enjoyed it and reviewed it. Today I will post this here in order to remember this again and make my family very happy!
Chicken with Oranges- Iranian Koresh
- 1 tablespoon oil, sesame
- 500 g chicken breasts, cut in bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetal oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 lime juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 3 oranges, peeled in segments
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 3 teaspoons almonds, slivered
- 2 teaspoons pistachio nuts, chopped finely
- Heat sesame oil in a non-stick skillet and fry chicken until lightly brown. Set aside in a plate.
- Heat vegetal oil and shortly fry the onions.
- Now add orange zest and all the spices, stir.
- Add chicken back to the skillet and coat with the onion-spice mixture.
- Add orange juice; bring to near boil; cover and let simmer until tender for about 20 minutes. Stir and check liquid from time to time.
- Add carrots, almonds and pistachio nuts and simmer for additional 15 minutes.
- In the meantime combine in a medium saucepan vinegar, lime juice, sugar, and saffron water. Simmer for heat for 5 minutes add orange segments; stir well.
- When all is ready combine everything in the skillet; stir gently and serve garnished to taste for example with additional nuts.
Ww 16 smart points per portion