Looking for something to add to my carrot soup I came to idea to prepare biscuits!
My variation today was replacing the butter by olive and I really wondered what would happen.
I scaled down the quantities replaced buttermilk with yogurt (I have this almost always on hand) and I started my experiment.
What was important, I knew it, was not to knead the dough. This should not turn smooth as it would not turn flaky and it would not form the desired layers. I folded the dough only twice, some say until 6 times, but I imagine that with the olive oil this would be too risky and I had to avoid to get a well combined dough.
I got what I need and wished! They turned out crispy outside and soft inside! And really flaky!
I’m very happy with the result and now I have my basic recipe and I can create my variations on them!
Healthier Biscuits with Olive Oil
- 1 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus for brushing
- 4-5 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Sift flour and baking powder in a bowl. Add sugar and salt and stir well.
- Add olive oil and work with the fork to form rough crumbs.
- Add yogurt and stir with the fork until just combined; the dough should look somewhat dry and shaggy.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll it into a rough rectangle, about 2 centimeter thick; avoid squeezing or kneading the dough.
- Fold dough into thirds like a letter. Using rolling pin, roll out dough to a thickness of 1 centimeter, dust with flour and repeat folding once more.
- Roll out dough to about 1 centimeter thickness. Wrap in plastic and transfer to refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Return dough to work surface, and, using a 4-5 cm round cookie-cutter by pressing down without a twisting motion, cut out biscuits as closely together as possible. This gives about 10 pieces.
- If you have scraps just reform a rectangle (don’t knead!) and cut additional biscuits.
- Brush the top of each biscuit with very thin layer of olive oil.
- Place biscuits on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, approximately 10 to 15 minutes at 220°C. Serves 2 to 4. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Ww 17 smart points per piece