What kind I sweets will we enjoy this year? Well we have some favorites, but we love to try new one and if possible to create completely new ones!
As I know that in my family Christmas cookies are not only for the mouth since for the eyes and the in general Christmas decoration and for small gifts, I try to create pretty ones, even if they take some time to be ready.
Edelweiss flowers are Switzerland’s national flowers, they are white, look like small stars, and are incredible beautiful … these will be my most beautiful cookies this year.
The recipe was based on orange cookies, I adapted the recipe quite a lot and I added a glaze which will enhance the orange flavor and taste. At the end I got very good not only beautiful cookies!
I made the double quantity (for a total of 6 baking trays, 200 cookies!) and including the decoration I spent good 4 hours.
- Time: 2 hrs
- Difficulty: medium
- 125 g butter
- 100 g sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 250 g flour
- 2 tablespoons candied orange, very finely chopped
- 1 orange, grated zest and juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar¨
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur, quantity to be adjusted
- sugar pearls
- Mix butter, sugar, egg and salt until very well combined.
- Add flour, candied orange, orange zest and half of the orange juice.
- Pulse and add as much of the remaining orange juice until you get a smooth but not too wet dough.
- Form a rectangle, dust with flour and place in the fridge to chill.
- Dust your working place and with flour, dust the dough as well and roll out to a thickness of about 4 mm.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C
- Dust the dough again and cut out you cookies using cookies cutters in shape gerbera flowers (search under: Plunger Cutters, Veined Sunflower Daisy). Assemble the cut outs, bring quickly together, dust with flour, roll out and chill outside (it’s winter now) for 5 minutes before cutting the next ones. Continue until you finish your dough.
- Transfer the cookies onto the prepared baking tray with parchment. Remember: as soon as the first try is ready you can begin to bake while you are cutting out the next ones. This quantity of dough makes about 100 cookies and you will need 3 trays!
- Bake in at 170°C for about 10 minutes, when the borders begin to change color.
- Remove from the oven and cool down on a grid.
- In the meantime combine powdered sugar. Add as much liqueur until you get a thick but still enough liquid paste.
- Using a squeeze bottle paint the cookies with white.
- When they are dry make some dots with glaze and dip the cookies into the pearls.
- When they are dry fish with some additional dots.
Ww 4 smart points per cookie (calculated as 100 cookies in total)