This is a great cake with great results adapted from Lynette’s apple cake recipe.
I substituted the butter with 1/2 cup of sunflowers oil (only for personal preference) and I did not use butter in the frosting, Walnuts were my alternative to pecan (local product in Europe). I also made a bigger portion as a used a big mold.
I prepared this for a party, so that I made this a little bit more flat and I cut this in small pieces (finger food!). It was a great hit and it was very much appreciated!
Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 large apples, peeled, cored, and finely chopped or coarsely grated
- 250 g sugar
- 100 ml vegetal oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 400 g all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 tsp baking soda, sifted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 100 g walnuts, chopped
- 200 g cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or grated lemon zest, optional to taste
- 200 g powdered sugar, sifted
- Walnuts (optional)
- Prepare the apples and preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- In a big bowl combine apples, sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Stir to combine.
- Fold under the walnuts.
- Pour the batter into a greased baking mold (mine was 45 to 30 cm big) and spread evenly.
- Bake for 45 at 180°C/350°F until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean (tooth stick test).
- Let cool down completely.
- Combine the ingredients fort the frosting stirring well until smooth.
- Spread the frosting with a spatula over the cake and top with some walnuts.
- I made the cake in the evening and I cut it into pieces in the morning. The frosting was not hard still creamy but not “floating”.