This very aromatic salad will be a perfect addition to a grill party or simply as side dish.
I’ve found this recipe in an Austrian (GuteKüche.at) site and after adapting it to the herbs of my garden and serving this for dinner along with grilled lamb I found that this is so delicious that I’m glad to share this with my cooking friends.
You may adjust the list of the fresh herbs according to what I have on hand, but parsley and mustard are a must in order to keep the main characteristic of this recipe. To this recipes you may also add other roots (beet root, parsnip, turnips, radish and celeriac) but also grated apples would fit perfectly!
Zucchini and Carrot Salad
- 1-2 eggs, hard boiled
4 cups of shredded roots (adapt quantity to taste); I only used carrots and zucchini
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- beet root, peeled and shredded (to taste)
- parsnip, peeled and shredded (to taste)
- turnips, peeled and shredded (to taste)
- radish, shredded (to taste)
- celeriac, peeled and shredded (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons vegetal oil
- 1-2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard (Dijon kind)
- White pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- First of all prepare all the ingredients: peel and shred the carrots, shred zucchini and chop all the herbs
- In small bowl combine oil, vinegar, mustard and pepper. Reserve the salt for later.
- Slice the egg(s).
- Combine the vegetables with the herbs and toss well.
- About 15 minutes before serving add the prepared dressing and toss well again.
- Add the salt (if needed, I did not need this) only before serving.
- Top with the sliced egg and serve.