A stunning presentation for a special event!
You may prepare the chocolate cups in advance, fill them with the mousse and freeze until needed. Just before serving arrange on single plates and voilà a wonderful dessert is ready!
It was fun to prepare the cups and I will prepare these again!
Amaretto Mousse in Chocolate Cups
Chocolate Cups (pieces)
- 15 g white chocolate (optional), chopped
- 120-150 g dark chocolate, more if needed
- Silicon molds for muffins or other shapes (each for about 100 ml content)
- 2 egg yolks
- 60 g sugar
- 4 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 4 egg whites or 1/2 cup heavy cream
Serving suggestion (to taste)
- Shaved chocolate (white or dark chocolate)
- 250 g strawberries
- Amaretto liqueur to taste
- Heavy cream (whipped) to taste
- Place the chopped white chocolate in a small plastic bag and close it tightly with a knot.
- Hold the bag over the knot and dip the part with the chocolate for 2 seconds in hot water. Take out and knead the bag with the chocolate with your fingers, dip very shortly again and knead. Repeat until completely dissolved.
- Drizzle the white chocolate on the sides of the molds. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Melt dark chocolate in a bowl over a pot of hot water stirring constantly until dissolved. Remove from the heat. Brush the sides and the bottom of the mold using a food-safe paintbrush with the dark chocolate taking care not to damage the white chocolate decoration. If needed prepare more melted dark chocolate to make the cups walls thicker.
- Place in the fridge to cool down and to set completely.
- Gently remove the cups from the molds and place them in chilled place
- Beat egg yolk in a heatproof bowl with about 40 g of sugar until fluffy.
- Add the amaretto and place the bowl over a pot of boiling water; take care that only the steam and not water gets in contact with the bowl.
- As soon as the zabaglione begins to rise place the bowl over in vessel with cold water and stir from time to time until cooled down. Place in the fridge
- As soon as the zabaglione is cold, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks (or the heavy cream) add the sugar and beat until glossy. If using the heavy cream do not overbeat!
- Gently fold the beaten egg whites (or heavy cream) under the zabaglione.
- Fill the mousse in the chocolate cups and refrigerate (for a chilled mousse) or freeze for at least 2 hours (for ice-cream mousse) or until needed. Best use the same day.
- Prepare shaved chocolate
- Arrange sliced strawberries in single plates, spoons some amaretto over them.
- Place the filled chocolate cups in the plate near the strawberries.
- Decorate with whipped cream and shaved chocolate.