The plant and its seed pods are also known as “lady’s fingers” and in Greece this dish is called “Bamies sto fourno” (Μπάμιες στο φούρνο). The Greek name come from the Arabic name, bamyeh.
While in central Europe, we can get this fresh vegetable almost only in Turkish shops, in Greece we can find it in almost all supermarkets and farmer markets!
Okras could turn slimy ant to prevent this we should cook it whole, after tossing it with salt and vinegar and marinating for at least 30 minutes.
In Greece this dish is very popular ad for the recipe the quantity of oil is at least 3 fold of what I suggest her with my recipe.
Okras with Vegetables from the Oven
- 1 kg okra, trimmed and washed
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 red peppers, seeds removed and diced
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups ripe tomatoes, diced into 1-2 cm pieces
- 2 strips orange zest (about 5-5 square centimeters J )
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, coriander or dill chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Trim the stems off the okra, and place in a large bowl. Add the vinegar, toss and let sit for 30 minutes to an hour. Drain the okra, and rinse thoroughly. Place these in an oven safe baking mold.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C.
- In the meantime heat the oil in a skillet, add onion, garlic and red peppers. Fry until fragrant. Combine water and tomato paste. Add this to the skillet as well as the tomatoes and orange zest. Heat thoroughly. Add herbs and adjust salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the okra, cover with foil or lid and place it for 1 hour and 30 min in the oven. The last 15 min remove the lid to allow the food to get a bit of color.