This is my variation of the “dancing chicken” recipe on a beer tin. As we have wine in our house and plenty of fresh rosemary in the garden, we decided to change the recipe and prepare it with Mediterranean ingredients.
This fantastic cooking method allows the skin of the chicken to roast without being soaked by the liquid; at the same time, the wine in the can inserted into the belly of the chicken will keep the meat moist, tender and very aromatic.
Italian Dancing Chicken in the Oven
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste (about 1 tablespoon)
- Pepper to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon)
- Sprinkles: fresh rosemary
For the baking tray
- 1 whole chicken (about 1.4-1.5 kg)
- 6-8 Rosemary springs (about 20 cm long), rinsed
- 1 empty can of about 500 ml, well cleaned
- 150 ml white wine
- 1 kg potatoes, peeled
- Combine the ingredients for the rub in small bowl.
- Place the about 120 ml wine in the can and place this in the center of a big baking proof container. Place the rosemary in the wine (reserve 2 springs).
- Rinse and tab dry the chicken.
- Remove rosemary leaves reserved springs and gently lift the skin of the chicken and place the rosemary sprigs under the skin (breast, back and legs).
- Rub the chicken inside and outside as well as little under the skin with about ¾ of the prepared rub.
- Gently sit the chicken on top of the can, which is in the baking proof container, this can has to go into the cavity of the chicken until stable.
- Coat the prepared potatoes (let them whole if small or dice them into 3-4 cm pieces if too big) with remaining rub and place them around the chicken. Add the additional 20 ml of wine.
- Place the chicken in the preheated oven at 140°C for about 2 hours. From time to time, check the liquid and brush the chicken as well the potatoes with it.
- Increase the heat to 200°C and roast the chicken for about 10 minutes until crispy.
- When done remove from the oven and let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes. Remove carefully the can from the chicken and serve immediately sprinkled with rosemary with the potatoes.