Prepare these savory small breads in advance and freeze them. You will need only 2 minutes in a preheated oven and you have something special to serve as appetizer, as side for a meal or simply for a snack. They will be very much appreciated!
Variation: Add some oregano to the dough or top the swirls with sesame seeds
Bread Swirls with Olives
- 100 g sourdough starter (or 50 g water + 50 g flour + 1/4 teaspoon dried yeast)
- 1 cups water
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 cups black flour or any whole kind of flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and chopped
- Olive oil (optional)
- The evening before combine well the starter, water, flours and salt. Knead about 5 minutes. Place in a bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place overnight.
- The next morning the dough should have risen, stretch it to a rectangle of about 50 to 30 cm on a well-floured surface.
- Distribute the olives on the dough leaving 5 cm of the long border free. Roll it so that you get a long (50 cm) roll and slice it into 2 cm think swirls. Place the pieces on a baking tray. Brush with olive oil if you like.
- Let rise again in a warm place (this took me about 1 hour, but it depends on the temperature and the kind of yeast).
Bake in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes until golden brown.