How good,beautiful and easy to make are Twissis’s Sushi!
Original source and recipe description: http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/smoked-salmon-avocado-sushi-24191 by: twissis
We all (8 of us) appreciated these very much and we enjoyed our Japanese dinner with these sushi rolls.
I loved the idea to use smoked salmon as this is naturally preserved and safe! I could make 12 slices from each roll for a total of 48 bites!
Smoked Salmon and Avocado Sushi
- 11 g nori seaweed (4 sheets @ 2.75 g each)
FOR THE RIce:
- 300 g dry rice (sushi glutinous white rice, 1 1/2 cups dry)
- 350 ml water (or according package instruction)
- 1/4 cup vinegar (rice or white wine vinegar)
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- a few drops sesame oil (my addition)
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 avocado, whole (large), skin and seed removed, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 80 g smoked salmon (4 large slices)
- Fresh chives (1 bunch)
For the filling (variations or additions)
- 1 small carrots, washed, peeled and then cut them into long skinny strips
- 1 small cucumber, washed and then cut them into long skinny strips
SERVE WITH (options):
- Sesame seeds
- Pickled ginger
- Wasabi paste
- Japanese soy sauce
- Sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- Wash the rice with enough water until the water comes out clear.
- Bring water and rice to boil. Let simmer covered until the water is adsorbed (this takes about 12 minutes).
- In a small bowl combine vinegar and sugar. Add this to the rice, stir, cover and let sit for about 15 minutes.
- Turn rice on a plate to cool completely down if you need to prepare the sushi soon. Make 4 portions.
- Prepare the avocado and drizzle with lemon or lime juice to prevent browning. Will make 4 portions!
- Cover your sushi mat with plastic foil, place the nori on it and spread the rice over the sheet (let one border free to close the roll). Place the salmon, chives and the first portion of avocado.
- Fold the bottom and roll it tightly using the mat helping yourself with the foil.
- Close the border with little flour and a few mashed rice corns (natural glue).
- I cut this without removing the foil making 12 sliced from each roll.
- Serve with soy sauce, wasabi paste and pickled ginger.