This is a traditional Roman (Italian) dish which can be severved as appetizer or as a side dish.
Now, that we are approaching the spring and in southern Countries the spring is already there, artichokes appear in the shops and I really don’t want to miss them!
The kind used for this preparation is called “Mammole”, they are quite big sized artichokes and the leaves are rounded shaped.
The mint used for this dish is usually the “mentuccia romana”, in my case I used Turkish mint in my garden, from which I can find some leaves even in winter. I think that the Greek mint (diosmos) would fit also perfectly; for this preparation I would avoid pepper mint, chocolate mint or mint kinds intended for drinks or cocktails. Spearmint would be good as well.
I prepared 3 artichokes, but give you the recipe for 4 of them.
Carciofi alla Romana - Roman Style Artichockes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced mint leaves
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 Artischockes (Mammole kind)
- 100 ml olive oil
- 200 ml water (more or less)
- 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl combine the herbs and the garlic, add ½-teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- To clean the artichokes prepare some lemony water (using the juice of half lemon) and rub your and with some lemon as well in order to prevent blackening.
- Remove the outside leaves which appear woody and without pulp. Peal the stem and cut it but leave a small piece. If the remaining stems appears soft, do not discard them, but add it to the preparation.
- Cut the top of the artichokes (depending on the size, about 4 cm). Open the center of the artichokes and remove the filaments with spoon, a knife or better with the vegetable carving instrument. Place the artichokes in the lemony water; this will prevent them from darkening.
- Open the artichokes with your fingers and stuff them with the prepared herbs mixture.
- Place the artichokes head side down in pot where they can fit tightly. Add the stems.
- Pour the remaining olive oil and the water.
- Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, open the lid and let reduce the liquid.
- Serve them hot n on a serving plate.