These soft spinach muffins are a wonderful addition to festive buffet, served for a break, for lunch at work or for a picnic.
As most muffin recipes, they are easy and quick to be prepared; for this reason they can be served for a week dinner as well, we served these instead of bread together with meat balls.
You can adapt the recipe and for example add grated carrots instead of fried spinach.
We love spinach seasoned as Italy, with nutmeg. 🙂
If you are using an acid ingredient, as in this case the feta, baking soda will be enough, if not, please use a mixture of baking soda and baking powder.
These muffins can be prepared in advance and reheat for about 3 minutes before serving.
Spinach and Feta Muffins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 mall onion, chopped
- 200 g spinach, washed and chopped or only young leaves
- 200 g flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 150 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 100 g feta, crumbled
- 50 g walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder, to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds for topping, to taste and optional
- Heat oil and fry the onion until translucent. Add spinach and sauté until just soft ad water adsorbed. Remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- In a bowl, sift together flour and baking soda.
- Add milk and egg. Stir until just combined.
- Fold in feta, walnuts and sautéed spinach.
- Season with nutmeg, pepper and salt to taste.
- Scoop the mixture in muffin molds (I used 6 cm wide silicon molds).
- Sprinkle with sesame seed or more walnuts.
- Bake at 180°C for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and done.
- Best serve them lukewarm.