Many years ago I wrote down this recipe in Italian; we still call this tart in this way!
Long-long time ago I prepared this recipe with the daughter of a friend and I gave her the recipe as we knew that she will leave her family for her studies in another town. We did not met her and her family for ages, for years, until about one year ago we finally got again in touch and she remembered us that she got a recipe called “Torta di Mele Inglese”. What for a surprise: she is still preparing this recipe still now! While we almost forgot to prepare this for a few years. Why? Very simply, in the last year I tried so many new apple recipes and I did not open my old kitchen notes. “You should prepare this apple tart again, please!!!” was the comment of my family.
So now we are, I prepared and photographed this delish and I will prepare this more often; promised!
Compared to other recipes, this recipes requires less fat, less sugar and more apples!
It’s not only delicious and beautiful it’s also healthier!
Torta di Mele Inglese – English Apple Tart
- 85 g margarine
- 60 g sugar
- 180 g flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 500 g apple sauce (or 500 g apples)
- 1 teaspoon agar- agar or 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4-5 apples, peeled sliced
- 5 tablespoons apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- Slivered almonds or chopped ones, to taste
- If you don’t use ready-made apple sauce, the first thing to do is to prepare this now: peel, core and dice apples, add about half cup of water and place everything in the microwave at maximum for about 5 minutes. After this time use you blender (I use the hand blender) to prepare the apple puree (apple sauce).
- With the food processor combine all the ingredients for the crust; if you don’t have a food processor begin cutting the margarine into the sugar and flour mixture with a fork, then add one the other ingredients and combine well still using the fork.
- Grease a 9-10 inch baking mold with high border and press the dough in it taking care to prepare a 3-4 cm high border.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Now combine your apple sauce with the agar or with cornstarch. I use the blender.
- Pour the mixture on the crust, and arrange the apple slices to caver the entirely the surface. Eat any excess slices! J
- In a small bowl combine jam and brandy. Drop this over the apples and distribute it with the back of a spoon.
- Top with the almonds and bake at 180°C/350°F for about 50 minutes.
- Cool down completely before slicing.
Ww 11 smart points per portion (calculated as 10 portions in total)