Gugelhopf or Kugelhupf is a very popular kind of Bunt-Cake Austrian very appreciated for the afternoon break or for dessert. Sometimes this is served for Sunday breakfast as well.
I’ve seen many different kind of Gugelhopt in the south German speaking part of Europe (this includes sough Germany, German speaking part of Switzerland) and Alsace (a region in France where a German dialect is spoke combining this language with French), the spectrum is awesome, form the sweet to the savory, but all of them are really delicious and looks fabulous!
This is sweet, tangy version, aromatized with lemon and some limes (you can use only lemon if you prefer), no butter this time, but simply oil! Great result and I love the presentation!
Lemon and Lime Gugelhopf
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cups fine sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1cup sour cream (substitute: Greek yogurt)
- 1/2cup oil
- 1-2tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (reserve some only yellow part finely sliced for topping)
- 1 1/2 limes, finely grated grated zest (reserve some thinly sliced for topping)
- 1lime juice
- 1/2 lemon juice (reserve 1 tablespoons for glaze)
- Food coloring (optional)
- 1lime juice
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Glaze and topping
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (to adjust)
- Sliced reserved lemon and lime zest.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Prepare your Kugelhopf form: grease with oil and dust with flour.
- Combine all ingredient for the batter (except the juices and food coloring) and work with the food processor until very smooth.
- Add juices, and divide the dough into two parts and color one of them.
- Pour the two batter portions alternatively and bake at 180°C/350°F for about 45-50 minutes until done (toothpick test).
- Remove from the oven and place on a dish to cool down partially.
- In the meantime combine the ingredients for the syrup stirring until dissolved.
- In vert the Kugelhopf on a plate, pinch with a toothpick and brush in the syrup.
- Combine the juice for the topping, the yogurt and powdered sugar stirring and adding more and more powdered sugar until you get thick paste.
- Drizzle on the cake and top with the thin lemon/lime slices.