Nachos are a quite trendy food in USA, but here in Europe they don’t appear very often on our tables. It is said that “Europeans don’t know what nachos are”!
That’s may be possible, I only had nachos as I visited Mexico (Baja California Sur)! What are nachos?
You many look at the history of them here:
My personal interpretation of nachos: tortilla chips (tostadas) from the oven topped with different ingredients and a melted cheese-sauce. From this point of view we may experiment on this theme and we can add the ingredients we love.
This was my spontaneous recipe, enjoy and try your variation!
Nachos de Camarones – Nachos with Shrimps
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oil (I use olive oil)
- 250 g shrimps, deveined and peeled
- 1 tablespoon Mexican spice mix
- Smoked paprika to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil (I use olive oil)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 red pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped (quantity to taste)
- 2-4 tablespoons of heavy cream or sour cream
- 1 small jalapeño chili, sliced (quanity to taste!) or chili flakes
- 3 cups tortilla chips
- 100 g shredded Cheddar cheese (much more if you want or like!)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped
- Place the cherry tomatoes into an oven safe mold, toss with 1 teaspoon oil and place under the broiler until the skin of the tomatoes begins to take a few darker places. Check from time to time. Remove from the oven and transfer the tomatoes into a small bowl or dish.
- Set the oven to 180°C
- Toss shrimps with Mexican spice mix and smoked paprika in a small bowl.
- Heat the oil in a non-sticky skillet and fry the onion with the red pepper and the garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Add the seasoned shrimps, the cream and fry for about 1-2 minutes to heat them up. Set aside and keep warm.
- Season with the jalapeño.
- Adjust tortillas chips in an oven and microwave save mold and top with broiled tomatoes, shrimps and pepper mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Place in the oven until cheese is melted and the borders of the tortillas begins to turn dark. If necessary place the dish into the microwave until cheese is completely molted.
- Top with fresh cilantro and if needed with more fresh onion and serve immediately