A yummy warm appetizer, a few tasty bites with a lot of flavor.
These stuffed champignons can be prepared in advance, but it want to use them immediately remember to preheat the oven first.
Do not trash the stems, but use them for another recipe as for example my “Cheesy Vegetable Stew”.
Mushrooms with Mustard and Nuts
- 250 g champignons mushrooms, big or medium sized
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard, if possible with whole grains
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 cup croutons
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ cup thinly sliced parmesan cheese
- Walnuts, enough to top each mushroom
- Remove stems of the mushrooms and make a hole a little bit bigger using the vegetables-carve. You will use the caps, but reserve the cutouts and the stems for another recipe.
- Place the cups on an ovenproof mold (opening up).
- Crash or dice the croutons lightly (to about 5 mm/ ¼ of inch size) so that they will fit better into the mushrooms.
- In a small bowl combine mustard, cream cheese and nutmeg add croutons and toss well. Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon stuffing mixture into each mushroom cap.
- Top with the parmesan cheese.
- About 10 minutes before baking preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Bake the mushrooms into the oven for 2 minutes or so, when you see, that the cheese begins to melt, take out of the oven, to with one piece of walnut and bake until the cheeses begins to change the color and the mushrooms and heated through.
- Optional: garnish with fresh herbs to serve.