Don’t be intimidated by the long list of the ingredients for this Indian curry, because if you follow the instructions nothing can go wrong and you will get a fragrant curry with authentic taste.
- 3 red chilies, to taste
- 1 1/2 inches ginger, fresh
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 small red onion
- 500 g chicken breasts, cut in bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 star anise
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon black cumin seed, lightly crushed with the mortar
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Process all ginger paste ingredients in a food processor into a paste. If you don’t have a small food processor grate ginger, garlic and onion and add finely chopped red chili.
- In a big bowl marinate the chicken with 1/2 cup yogurt, lemon juice, turmeric powder, coriander powder and ground cumin for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wide skillet and sauté the paste, star anise, cardamom pods and cinnamon stick until aromatic. Add chopped onion, crushed black cumin seed and garam masala. Cook until liquid is adsorbed.
- At this point add chicken and cook stirring from time to time for about 10 minutes.
- Pour in water and coconut milk. Simmer until meat is tender and oil begins to separate (this takes about 20 minutes).
- Add salt and adjust chili to taste. Add half of the fresh cilantro, stir.
- Garnish with the reserved fresh cilantro and serve with rice.