A tagine is such a wonderful way to prepare and serve a complete meal at once.
The combination of meat, vegetable and carbs makes this possible and super easy!
The special spice mix, which I call “Moroccan Spice Mix”, is a wonderful very versatile balanced combination of flavours; I use this in many different ways, mostly spontaneously according to the ingredients I have on hand at home.
In the recipe below, I added some honey from our own production; this made the plate really really delicious!
Chicken Tagine with Chickpeas
Moroccan Spice Mix:
- 2 teaspoon ras el hanout spice mix, if available, optional
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 500 g chicken skinned, cut into big pieces (if you prefer deboned)
- 2 medium onions, peeled and cut into quarters (wedges)
- 1/2 lemon with peel, cut vertically in wedges (skin on)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and chopped
- 6 teaspoons Moroccan Spices Mix (see above)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken or vegetal broth
- 1 can chickpeas, about 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- ½ lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoon raisins (+ some for decoration)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley for decoration
- Prepare in advance the ingredients taking care to prepare the tomatoes. To peel the tomatoes dip them in boiling water for two minutes, place in cold water and remove the skin. Cut into half and with your fingers remove the seed, cut into 1-2 cm pieces.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet (provided of lid) and fry chicken for 2 minutes, add onion and lemon wedges and fry for other 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger and spices. Stir fry shortly until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and sauté for 1-2 more minutes. Set aside a few pieces tomatoes, one lemon and one onion wedge for decoration.
- Add the broth and stir well-
- Add chickpeas, lemon juice, honey and raisins.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and let simmer covered for about 30 minutes or better one until the chicken results tender. Stir and add little water from time to time as it should not result dry.
- Just before serving top with the reserved lemon and onion wedges, the pieces of tomatoes, a few raisins. Cover for a few seconds.
- Top with parsley and serve with a smile!